1/9/19 – Pastor Brian’s Blog
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
Two things I remember about growing up in the church:
- My parents took me to church every time the doors were open, and as I grew older, rarely did I want to go with them.
- The times these verses (see above) were read in my church, I would doubt if anyone in the room, including myself, would think that I would be one of the people that would fulfill this particular mandate from Jesus. Yet along with the help and encouragement of a Godly wife, I am.
If I had taken the time to plan out my life when Judy and I were first married, it would not have been anything close to the story that God had written for us. We have been to places and done things that we would not have even dreamed about. God has brought people into our lives that have had a huge effect on who we are today, and how we do ministry. God has given us ministry opportunities that are way beyond anything we could have ever asked for or imagined!!
Can I tell you about our newest adventure? The fact that you are now reading the next sentence must mean that you have given me permission to tell you!!
In February, Judy and I will be going to Cuba for the first time, to serve with Focus Ministries from Pagosa Springs, CO. Judy and I, along with a team of four, will be ministering in several cities, leading Pastor’s Conferences, Women’s Conferences, Evangelistic Outreach, as well as a day conference with University students. As you can imagine, we are a bit anxious, but excited about this opportunity to represent God as well as our church in this area of the world.
We are not asking you for financial support, as God has already taken care of that for us. Over the many years of traveling overseas, we have never asked for personal support, yet every time we get ready to purchase the tickets, the money is there. I am thinking about writing a blog on the faithfulness of God in our lives, but that will be for another time.
Although Judy and I do not have a financial need, the people we will be ministering to, do. Please keep in mind, that Cuba is a very poor country, (a pastor makes approximately $25-30 a month), so receiving used items, like video projectors, computers (5 years old or newer), cameras, cell phones, reading glasses, are HUGE helps, and are received with deep joy and gratitude.
We do understand that sending these items can get pricey, so if you would rather donate with a financial gift for the needed items on the list below, (especially bicycles for pastors, who sometimes preach in several churches, and have no mode of transportation), please know that the folks from Focus Ministries are happy to do the shopping for you.
We will be leaving for Cuba on February 4th but in order to purchase these items in time, we would need donations to arrive at FOCUS Ministries, 300-A Squaw Valley Place Pagosa Springs, CO 81147, no later than January 18th. If you do send a gift, please put “Cuba trip” in the memo line and of course, all items and financial gifts are TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
Here is our “wish” list…
- Video Projector
- Laptops (we can each take one laptop – so we can take a total of 6)
- One powerful MacBook Pro to be used for video editing with good amount of RAM and memory, with microprocessor.
- Finances for 2-3 bikes – approximately $150, we would purchase the bikes in Cuba
- SIM card Smart phones (if you send an apple I-phone make sure it is cleaned off, and there are no passwords needed for resetting, or they will be useless)
- External hard drives – jump drives
- Aspirin 81 mg
- Vitamins for adults
- Vitamins for children
- Omega 3 supplements
- Pain killers (ibuprofen, acetaminophen)
- Flu medicine
- Excedrin (especially for migraines)
- Reading glasses
There is a very good chance that God will not lay it on everyone’s heart that reads this blog to give financially and that is fine, because if everyone God does lead to give, gives, then all the needs will be met. If you could pray for us as we prepare our messages and our hearts to go: I know 2 people (Judy and me) that would very much appreciate it!!
It is “Cuba or bust” for us. We know that God has called us and He will do it… The one who calls you is faithful and He will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:24
We will give you an update when we return…